Friday 5 January 2007

Mascherano to Liverpool?

There is talk in the football world about Javier Mascherano, the Argentine midfielder joining Liverpool on loan.

I can understand why he'd want to leave West Ham, he hasn't even been making the bench for some games and they've lost every game he's played in. I can understand why he'd want to join Liverpool, because well, it's Liverpool. sdnasjld

But why Benetiz would want Mascherano, I can't figure out. Our midfield is already our strongest area in the squad (Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko and Zenden can all play there) and from what I saw at the World Cup Mascherano is a central midfielder too.

There is talk that he may not even be eligible to move with the FIFA ruling that a player can't play for more than two clubs in a season (Corinthians and West Ham).

That put aside, I still cannot see the logic behind the move. He is a quality player, even with his torrid time at West Ham, but for my money he won't be coming to Anfield. A move to Juventus or Inter Milan would be more likely.

As for the transfer window in general, I think the chances of Peter Crouch moving to Newcastle are total bollocks. Crouchinhio will know that he has been given a gift with Liverpool, and that it's got him his England place. He owes too much to the club to want to leave, and I can't see Benetiz wanting to sell him either.

David Villa of Valencia is another name linked with Liverpool. He has been on top form in Spain, and if anyone was to come calling Benetiz would be the one Villa answered too. I still can't see this move coming off, what with Kyut, Crouch and Bellamy all in fine form. Furthermore after the failure of Morientes, I am a bit more hesitant of foreign imports.

I think Liverpool will be looking to strengthen the right side if anything, perhaps Dani Alves who was the original target over Jermaine Pennant. Even then, I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool had a very quiet summer, the calm before the glory to come in May!

No comments: